Being realistic | 20 by 30?

Thursday, January 5, 2012


I have these jeans in a dark wash:

And I miss them desperately.  It’s been about ten months since I was able to wear them…and that was with a rubber band to make them more comfortable as I grew bigger in my pregnancy.



I am turning thirty in 76 days and I have twenty pounds to lose still.  Okay, technically only thirteen of them are baby weight, but I had gotten to my goal weight the summer Sophia turned one and I really enjoyed being there.  I wasn’t there when I got pregnant with Evelyn, but I’d like to be again. 

I was reading something unrelated to losing weight a while ago, but it used dieting as a metaphor.  It said that the difference between desire and commitment is actually making something happen.  Everyone has a list of things they want – spending more quality time with your kids rather than playing on your smart phone, making a daily devotional time more important, or a goal weight, but no matter how much you want something, just wanting it isn’t enough to make it happen.  If you intentionally commit to that desire, you will probably actually achieve something. 

It also helps to have a realistic view of what you are able to achieve.  To me, being realistic is a good medium between avoidance and over-optimism.  I don’t want to underachieve, but I don’t want to make a goal that sets me up for failure.  I’d love to lose 20 by the time I turn 30, but I’d be thrilled with ten.  Realistic is being aware of this – I have a husband, two kids, plenty of laundry, and a new overnight job.  And so, I have committed to looking awesome and at least wearing my favorite jeans on my birthday.

 



You can expect me to look something like this:

Love Me some Herve Leger
Maybe not, it’s a little tight for someone "my age.”  :)

In the process, I have discovered that some of the healthy things I avoid are actually great.  I avoid vegetables almost all of the time.  I try eating them, but it doesn’t come naturally.  Last night I made a chicken minestrone and it was amazing.  I ate tomatoes without gagging.  It also had kale in it, which I really love in soup, carrots, onion, etc.  It was really good. 

I love my Diet Coke, but I’m not craving it now that I’m drinking a ton of water.  Hopefully, I can keep that up.

I’m hoping to create a little countdown that I can use to keep myself accountable and update it with my weight loss until my birthday.  We’ll see…being realistic says that that’s may not happen. :)

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I hear ya! It is so much harder loosing the weight after baby #2!

wright said...

Amen sisters! We could start a club-ok, there probably already is one. Reading this gave me more motivation. I only have 63 days though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP